On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 at 20:45, pangoSE <pang...@riseup.net> wrote:

> I recently stumbled upon the tag wikimedia_commons see
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:wikimedia_commons
>
> Its definition is: "links to related Wikimedia Commons' media of the
> feature "

Yep.  That's correct, apart from the word "links."  They're not really
links.  Not in
the HTML meaning of the word.

> But, the only 2 examples contain no links (as in URL-links but instead
> file- and category names):
>
>    wikimedia_commons=File:Bicycle crossing, Poland, Kraków, Josepha
>    Conrada.JPG
>    wikimedia_commons=Category:St Paul, Birmingham
>
> Yep. That's correct.

> I see in the database that a lot of image= tags contains direct urls to
> Wikimedia Commons.

You CAN do that, if you want.  But the image tag is a bit of a mess, because
more than one format has been used for the value (URLs and wikimedia
references, as well as others).  So best to use wikimedia_commons=* for
wikimedia commons images.

> I suggest we discuss changing the definition to: "File- or category name
> to related Wikimedia Commons' media of the feature "

Sounds sensible.  Actually, I hadn't considered using the category name and
didn't
know it worked with any carto that handles File (such as gk.historic.place).

> Furthermore I would like to hear if anyone have any problems with mass
> re-tagging of all commons URLs in image and wikimedia_commons tags to the
> above format. I will keep the changesets per country or smaller.

See guidelines on bulk/automated edits.  There are likely to be many
objections, even
if your proposal is sensible and there aren't many to change.

> PPS: I also suggested that we start rendering images on feature pages on
> openstreetmap.org,

Also seems sensible.  Sorta like what gk.historic.place does on
historic/heritage
POIs with images if you click on them for details.  Or, if ever we move to
vector
maps, maybe details would appear in a pop-up if you hover over a POI.  I
think
this is a good idea, but others may have different opinions.

--
Paul