On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 10:49:23PM -0600, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> On 2/5/20 17:15, Lionel Giard wrote:
> > In my usage, i always thought that using a barrier=* + any other main
> > tag was wrong and widely accepted (as i saw that it was separated in
> > most examples when i started mapping). Thus my method has always been to
> > map them separately (one way for the barrier and one way for the other
> > main tag, even if they are exactly sharing the same node). This is in
> > order to keep the one feature to one object and keep things manageable
> > and without ambiguity. Thus to me, all the examples of "barrier=*" (+
> > "area=yes" +) "leisure=playground" are a tagging error, that should be
> > two separate objects.
>
> JOSM's validator will flag ways that share the same nodes as a warning,
> or at least it used to. I think it's just more rubbish in the database
> to have one way for the fence and another for an area when they share
> the same nodes.

-1

Sorry, but the trouble I have with editing places where nodes are shared
is ridiculous. Often I have updated information, usually accurate gps,
on one element, but not the others with shared nodes. It is painful,
time-consuming and tedious to have to separate the ways. Often I just
don't bother and risk degrading previous information. But if people will
share nodes, then it's too bad.

The overhead in the database of sometimes duplicate nodes is tiny.

ael