On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 11:06 AM Peter Neale via Tagging
<tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> Where I live, we have an extensive network of non-segregated shared Foot /
> Cycle paths, known locally as "Redways" (and they are surfaced in red
> asphalt).  They have thin metal bollards at all junctions with roads.  I
> think their purposes are:
>
> 1.  to warn cyclists to give way before crossing the road.
> 2.  to prevent wider vehicles from accessing the redway.
>
> Most wheelchairs and mobility scooters for the disabled are narrow enough to
> pass through the gap
>
> See https://www.dropbox.com/s/5tqz14niu7kpfsj/Redway%20Bollards.png?dl=0
>
> In some places they are "fixed", but in many places, there will be 2 and one
> will be "fixed", while the other will be held in place by a padlock.  If you
> remove the padlock, the bollard can be lifted by hand to (only just) allow
> vehicle access.  I believe that the fire service and local council
> maintenance teams have the keys.

There are lots of padlocked removable bollards around here, keeping
motor vehicles off the foot/cycle paths but allowing mechanized access
for repair or snow removal.  We also have some that block off a city
street that's pedestrian-only but can be unblocked for HGV's on
request if, for instance, someone is moving in or out (or, again, to
plow the snow).

https://images.globalindustrial.com/images/enlarge/VEI_PARK-P-108-FD.jpg
is just one random Google hit on what they look like. They fold over
to lie on the ground giving about 10-12 cm sticking up -
https://images.globalindustrial.com/images/enlarge/PARK-P-108-FD_B.jpg
- so you'll have a bad day if you try to drive over a folded one in a
low-clearance vehicle.

I tag them `bollard=removable` as at
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/6504546120 - have I erred?