On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 at 08:12, Jo <winfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That stop_position nodes became optional is probably because of my influence.
> In the beginning they were definitely part of how PTv2. I disliked this very
> much because all of a sudden we were using 2 objects to define a single stop,
> duplicating details, which seemed like a very bad idea. And it was.
>
> About the stops, I would have all the details on a single node,
> highway=bus_stop, railway=tram_stop next to the road where the passengers
> wait. If there is a physical platform, I would add a way highway=platform,
> railway=platform. This way would only have tags describing the attributes of
> the platform like wheelchair and tactile_paving.

Would this be mandatory?

I am thinking of cases like streetside stops for 30 m or 45 m long
trams. There might be a shelter, which is the most prominent physical
feature of the tram stop. There is no explicit platform. The tram stop
sign might be 10 metres away from the shelter, and the farthest
possible boarding point at the back doors of the tram another 10 m
away. If only a single node could be used, where is it placed and why?

--Jarek