> I am thinking of cases like streetside stops for 30 m or 45 m long
trams. There might be a shelter, which is the most prominent physical
feature of the tram stop. There is no explicit platform. The tram stop
sign might be 10 metres away from the shelter, and the farthest
possible boarding point at the back doors of the tram another 10 m
away. If only a single node could be used, where is it placed and why?

How are you currently mapping such tram stops?

I would indicate the point where passengers wait for the tram, near
the front door, which is usually where the sign is located.

But it needs to be verifiable: if another mapper rides the tram, they
should be able to understand why the stop is at that location.

If you map anything as an area, there needs to be a real-world feature
that matches that area.

(So if your trams or trains stop in the exact same place each time,
with sub-meter precision, and all vehicles have the same length and
same door configuration, it's probably fine to invent a new tag to map
the location of each door, especially when the platform has a
permanent marking which shows where the door will open, as is common
with modern subways.

But it would not be good to map this on lines where different vehicles
can vary in length or door configuration, or if the operators do not
stop the vehicle in a certain place each time)

- Joseph Eisenberg