On 3/15/20 3:14 PM, Warin wrote:
On 16/3/20 6:01 am, brad wrote:
On 3/14/20 9:47 PM, Warin wrote:
Hi,
The present description of landuse=meadow is;
An area of meadow or pasture: land primarily vegetated by grass and other
non-woody plants, mainly used for hay or grazing.
That places the land cover before the land use. The emphases should be on the
land use, the land use should be first?
Possibly a better description:
An area of meadow or pasture: land primarily used to produce hay or for grazing
of animals. Usually vegetated by grass and other non-woody plants.

I am trying to get mappers not to use this for areas of grass land that could
be more appropriatly tagged natural=grassland.

Thoughts?

I disagree.  Perhaps a regional definition?  I think meadow is the land cover, pasture is the land use
This would match my definition:
Meadow:  "a field with grass and often wild flowers in it: "
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/meadow
or
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/meadow
"A meadow is a field which has grass and flowers growing in it. "

Locally, (Colorado, USA), we might call a grassy area high in the mountains an alpine meadow, and it may not have any domesticated animals grazing it.

Is that not the tag natural=grassland? The tag natural=grassland is for a land cover of grass .. I think that is what you want.

The key' landuse' should not be used for land cover, so landuse=meadow should not be used for any land cover.

The presence of grass is an indication that the land use of grazing or cropping of hay might, just might take place.

Good point.  I overlooked the left side of that equation, landuse= .     I still don't like landuse=meadow, but I guess this is British English, so I won't argue the point

landuse = pasture, or hay
and
natural = meadow (or natural=grassland)
Make more sense to me.
Note that the definitions for meadow that I quoted talk about a landcover, not a landuse.   Perhaps we should deprecate landuse=meadow

I think there could be a distinction between a meadow (something that may have more 'other stuff' than grass), and grassland.