On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 at 21:35, Volker Schmidt <vosc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is another aspect:
> The wiki page highway=cycleway states also
> " Tagging a way with highway
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=cycleway implies that
> the route is designated for bicycles."

Formal mountain bike tracks are designated bicycle routes.

> This means it implies, at least in Italy and Germany, that this is
> equivalent to this sign, which in turn implies that, the use of this way is
> mandatory for cyclists, if the cycleway accompanies a road.
> Obviously this concept does not apply to a MTB-only paths.

I believe the https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:bicycle%3Duse_sidepath
tag
applies in that case.

> I sympathise with the MTB fraction in OSM, but I strongly suggest that
> MTB-only paths be tagged as highway=path plus suitable MTB tagging and
> cycleways remain cycleways that are suitable for (nearly) all bicycles (the
> "nearly" regards in particular wider bicycles).

That would be in contrast to how the highway tag generally works, generally
highway= is used for the classification not suitability by vehicle class.
So it's common in some parts of the world to have have highway=primary
(because it's an important road linking major centers) but only accessible
by 4wd vehicles. The same way highway=footway might have a
sac_scale=demanding_mountain_hiking and won't be a stroll in the park.