On 4/2/20 4:33 AM, Volker Schmidt wrote:
There is another aspect:
The wiki page highway=cycleway states also
" Tagging a way with highway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=cycleway implies that the route is designated for bicycles." This means it implies, at least in Italy and Germany, that this is equivalent to this sign, which in turn implies that, the use of this way is mandatory for cyclists, if the cycleway accompanies a road.
Obviously this concept does not apply to a MTB-only paths.
I sympathise with the MTB fraction in OSM, but I strongly suggest that MTB-only paths be tagged as highway=path plus suitable MTB tagging and cycleways remain cycleways that are suitable for (nearly) all bicycles (the "nearly" regards in particular wider bicycles).

No need for sympathy, I strongly agree with what you're saying.  I think it's unfortunate that we even have the cycleway and footway tags, but they need to be treated as special cases of highway=path,