On Monday 04 May 2020, severin.menard via Tagging wrote:

> With this approach we would need to create a lot of new tags, eg for
> highways. Primary, secondary and tertiary are hierarchy based and
> does not mean the same reality everywhere, This is why
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa has been
> created. When you travel, roads, hospitals, schools, bakeries do not
> look the same but broadly intend to provide similar services.
> "publicly-accessible land worldwide" is the definition in the wiki
> for leisure=common and IMO it fits well for defining those kinds of
> pieces of lands you cannot miss on imagery and whose status/functions
> are not as precise as for parks, recreation grounds, etc.

Note there are real world features which are semantically very similar
despite looking very different - imagine a soccer field in central
Europe with green grass, one in subtropical Africa with bare ground,
one in Greenland with artificial turf and one on a glacier in the
Antarctic with compacted snow, all tagged leisure=pitch.  But there are
also features which at a quick look have semantic similarities (public
spaces in this case) but where this smallest common denominator is too
broad for it to have much practical meaning and there are tons of
features all over the world that fit that definition but for which
there are many different existing and more precise tags.

We from our European/North American often without thinking try to apply
our cultural perspective and classification to environments physically
and culturally very different from our own.  We currently have almost
zero tags with somewhat broader use in the OSM database that were
invented outside of Europe and North America (counting Russia as Europe
here - the Russian community is relatively active in establishing new
tags).  That is not normal and indicates a serious inbalance.

I think - like often in tagging discussion - that too much focus is put
on what tag to use and too little focus on what you actually want to
map.  And i don't mean what object physically to map on the ground but
what semantic aspect of it you want to map.  The problem here - and
that already became clear with the initial post by Jean-Marc - is that
there are a multitude of aspects that define these locations.  It would
be appropriate to tag these aspects as such and not try to identify a
specific combination of characteristics from a type locality and then
try to apply this to other locations.  That is not very useful, in
particular for cultural geography features - no matter if it is a new
tag or it it locally re-purposes an existing tag.

So my suggestion how to proceed here:

* take a good look at the area you want to map things in.
* identify what specifically you want to map.
* formulate in an abstract form (i.e. not definition via examples) and
avoiding weasel words like 'generally' 'typically' or 'usually' the
common and verifiable aspects of what you want to map.  Such aspects
can be physical (in case of areas of land:  state of the ground, what
kind of objects are located on it etc.) or cultural (like what function
the feature has for the locals, how it is used by humans etc.)
* look for existing tags that already indicate things you have
formulated.  Invent new tags when needed.  Clarify documentation of
existing tags when needed.

The third step - formulating your classification in abstract form
*before* you assess if existing tags are suitable - is key here.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/