On 5/7/20 1:49 PM, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> So, what's the next step?
>
> 1) Propose using taxi=motorcar, =motorcycle, =boat, =airplane, and get
> that idea officially rejected (it appears it would be certain to fail),
> or is that a waste of everyone's time?

taxi=* is already used as an access tag, so I think taxi:type=* should
be considered instead. Perhaps amenity=taxi can default to motorcar if
there is no taxi:type=* tag.

In theory we could even have taxi:type=tuktuk or similar if it's that
important to differentiate it from other types of motorized transport.

> 3) Propose amenity=ojek and just hold the vote in the Indonesian
> community, like how the Japanese mapper community proposes
> locally-relevant definitions?

This might work but I'd rather not see a bunch of region-specific tags
that all mean the same thing. It's as if we had shop=vacuum in the US
and then shop=hoover in the UK (though that would run afoul of trademark
infringement, but you get where I'm coming from).

> 4) Give up on mapping things which are not found in western Europe, and
> recognize that this is in practice a project dominated by
> English/German/American culture, which will not accept new ideas which
> were not invented in the West?

Most ideas of this sort are implemented worldwide, just in different ways.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skqu...@rushpost.com>
http://www.rantroulette.com