On 2020-05-25 10:39, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 01:48:20AM +0200, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging
> wrote:
>
>> Wrong tagging is not interesting by itself.
>>
>> I was looking for real-world situation where
>>
>> (1) there is some seemingly good overcomplicated tagging
>> (2) there is a good and simpler replacement
>
> The classic case is that people to not use "vehicle" or "motor_vehicle"
> but tag all individual subtypes individually, sometimes even
> with their parent.
>
> So there is no need for
>
> motorcycle=destination
> goods=destination
> hgv=destination
> car=destination
> mofa=destination
>
> When there is a "motor_vehicle=destination"

Is there a uniform definition of "motor_vehicle" in terms of its
constituent vehicle classes? Do the constituent classes also have a
uniform definition? A problematic example is "psv" where its status is
not simply a function of the vehicle's construction or taxation class,
but also of the use to which it is being put. If a taxi driver takes his
taxi on holiday? A bus running empty back to the depot? This is going to
depend on the specific jurisdiction. How we word the definition of the
OSM tag is of major importance if we are to avoid endless arguments
about these edge cases.

Interesting fact: in NL, speed limits don't apply to cyclists, because
the law says that speed limits are for motor vehicles. Is an eBike a
"motor vehicle"? Do we need "maxspeed:cycle=none"? BTW this is
rhetorical - just mentioning it here to illustrate how easily we can
project our own bit of the world onto the whole planet and assume it's
the same for everyone.