From: Jack Armstrong
Sent: Jun 9, 2020 8:03 PM
To: tagging@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Do we map pedestrian crossings twice?

Apologies if this has already been discussed. I searched the tagging list, but couldn’t find it.

Users have been adding pedestrian crossing tags on ways in addition to the street connecting nodes. In effect, a single pedestrian crossing is tagged twice. To me, this would seem contrary not only to the OSM wiki page, “Tag:highway=crossing”, but also contrary to, “One feature, one OSM element”.

Example:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?changeset=86290585#map=20/39.63167/-104.89726

I’ve been told by a user, anecdotally, there’s a Slack group that decided this is correct. To my knowledge Slack groups do not supersede the OSM wiki. I assume mapping a crossing twice is incorrect?

OSM wiki: tag:highway=crossing

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dcrossing

- Jack Armstrong

www.theaveragenomad.com