> On Jun 10, 2020, at 12:31 AM, Volker Schmidt <vosc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Two points to get this thread back on track:
>
> 1) The highway=track tag has always been wider than agriculture and forestry.
> There is an often overlooked "etc." in the description on the wiki, and it
> has been there from the very first version of 26 May 2008. (see also
> Duck_tagging <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Duck_tagging>)
>
> 2) "In my rendering of hiking maps I currently have to look at 13 tags and
> their values to make a decision ..."
> "I think we need some more values for the highway tag..."
> These two statements together (made in the same message in this thread)
> highlight the basic problem of this and other discussions:
> If we need to look at X tags and values now, adding new values only makes the
> list longer - there's no way around this.

My hope would be that addition of more highway=* values that better match what
people are trying to map would be a short term pain (data consumers need to add
one more check) but long term benefit.

For example, as mappers discover they can map a voie verte in France or a
“Rails to Trails” in the USA as highway=greenway and not as arbitrary choice of
track, path, cycleway or bridle path differentiated by a bunch of
foot=designated, bicycle=designated, etc. tags they are likely to migrate to
the simpler tagging. At some time in the future data consumers could begin to
be more restrictive on their logic.

Cheers,

Tod