On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 13:40, Tod Fitch <t...@fitchfamily.org> wrote:
> My hope would be that addition of more highway=* values that better match
> what people are trying to map would be a short term pain (data consumers need
> to add one more check) but long term benefit.
>
> For example, as mappers discover they can map a voie verte in France or a
> “Rails to Trails” in the USA as highway=greenway and not as arbitrary choice
> of track, path, cycleway or bridle path differentiated by a bunch of
> foot=designated, bicycle=designated, etc. tags they are likely to migrate to
> the simpler tagging. At some time in the future data consumers could begin to
> be more restrictive on their logic.

I'd support more highway=* values, but a "greenway" doesn't seem like
the best start to me.

A "rail trail" as I'm familiar with it in Ontario seems an actually
fairly good use of highway=path - a multi-purpose, multi-user way that
usually doesn't allow two-tracked vehicles that need road
registration. (ATVs might be okay but their legal status is often
unclear and enforcement is uneven.)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rail_trail_(17207255008).jpg
is probably a typical look, it seems to be
https://osm.org/way/56156607

Or am I misunderstanding? What in your mind would be the difference
between highway=greenway and highway=path?

I can accept that a "greenway" would be different from a "dangerous
path a non-advanced hiker can die on", but I would suggest to start by
splitting out the latter. (As done for example with via ferrata.)

And regarding other path types: what highway= tag would you suggest
for https://osm.org/way/236153221 (photo in linked Wikipedia article)?
To me, a "hiking trail" would be the closest description, but I'm not
experienced with scene lingo nor do I know what it would be in British
English.

--Jarek