This is a very interesting example; thanks for sharing it! It definitely helps me see where you're coming from, and how this practice came into common use.

Although it is a very ambiguous situation, I would still side on this being a single building that just so happens to have grown slowly over time. Although I would not disagree that they are separate buildings either.

However, your example seems like a case that is particularly ambiguous. I'm not sure if it's totally comparable to the case I mentioned, which seems more clear cut to me. It's a single building purpose built to contain 8 homes, all by the same builder, all in the same style. Additionally, these homes are part of a homeowner's association, which means there are restrictions even on what the owners can do to the exterior without approval from the association, and large structural changes to the buildings are not likely in the foreseeable future.

What I'm thinking is that it might be useful to have a concise discussion of this ambiguity in the wiki page. Since it seems to be up to interpretation, though, it seems providing different ways of representing the varying levels of ambiguity in the real world would be useful.

--
Skyler

--
Skyler