On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 8:19 AM Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/7/20 9:30 pm, Peter Elderson wrote:
>
> Looks like humus is a component of soil. So I think soil covers it, being
> a top layer consisting of mixed organic and mineral matter.
>
> To me it is hard to imagine an area as permanently natural=bare_soil.
> Wouldn't there always be some kind of vegetation within a year?
>

> Not always.
>
> Sorry to say but some soils have been so polluted combined with the
> resulting soil erosion vegetation has taken some decades to come back.
>
> See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queenstown,_Tasmania#Ecology

I'd imagine that pollution and erosion would result in a surface of
mineral, rather than organic soil; hence the land cover would be clay,
sand, scree, or bare_rock, depending on the particle size. Even the article
you cite mentions areas eroded to bare rock.  These values are all
available for tagging a mineral surface.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin