(Apologies if this double-posts; my mail client is telling me it couldn't be sent, but I've known it to lie about that...)

On 09/07/2020 18.57, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
Jul 9, 2020, 23:58 by pla16...@gmail.com:
I take "customers" to mean "non-employees who may access the
facility because of interactions with the controlling organization."  Not
staff.  Private means that nobody but staff (excepting emergency
services, plumbers who have been called in to deal with a problem,
etc.) have access.

Good point, I also used access=customers for churchgoers-only parking lot.

I think this makes sense also. To a previous point, I take access=customers to mean someone intending to visit the associated location, whether that's a store, a church, a doctor's office, ...

BTW, I've used access=customers for parking lots that aren't *explicitly* marked 'customers only', but where I would expect the proprietors would nevertheless be annoyed by people just using their lots that aren't going to the associated store (or church, or ...) at all. Should I not do that? Is there a clear rule for when to use access=customers vs. access=permissive?

(I would probably use access=permissive for e.g. a mall parking lot, where it's not strictly public, but where you wouldn't be expected to be visiting a particular building or organization such that it's much less clear whether or not you are a "customer".)

--
Matthew