On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 18:35, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> (I would probably use access=permissive for e.g. a mall parking lot,
>> where it's not strictly public, but where you wouldn't be expected to be
>> visiting a particular building or organization such that it's much less
>> clear whether or not you are a "customer".)
>
> I've usually left them as =public, but =permissive does seem a better option
> - thanks!

Just a note that access=public is not a valid value according to some
strict OSM schemas. In particular, you will see carto rendering these
greyed out just as it does access=private or access=customers
(particularly visible on parking lot symbols). access=yes is the
prescribed value for "public access".

--Jarek