On 7/31/20 14:29, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Name is only the name.  Names are not refs.  For the above example,
> ref=NY 214, noname=yes would be the right way.

How about the stretch of FM 1960 from I-45 or so going east into Humble?
Addresses on it are "xxxx FM 1960 East", though I think it used to be
signed as "Humble-Huffman Road" even though nobody puts that in the
addresses anymore. I currently have name=FM 1960 East alongside ref=FM
1960 (and maybe an alt_name=* too). (For those outside of Texas, FM or
RM is like a lower class of state highway called Farm-/Ranch-To-Market
Roads.)

I'm on the side that name=* should match what's in addr:street=*, even
if there's some duplicity, but maybe there should be some other tag to
say perhaps the name shouldn't be rendered on (most) visual maps and/or
read out separately from the ref in navigation software.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skqu...@rushpost.com>
http://www.rantroulette.com