Consider the Saint Lawrence river. Often the Rio de la Plata is claimed to
be the widest river estuary in the world, but some maps of the Saint
Lawrence estuary show it extending all the way to the eastern tip of Île
d'Anticosti (Anticosti Island), which would make the mouth of the river
estuary over 300 kilometers wide.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6122656 - the river centerline,
which extends to the island

The current mapping of the lower estuary, extending to the west end of the
island: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4555382#map=8/49.216/-63.885

Wikipedia map of the Saint Lawrence river watershed, showing the estuary
extending to the east side of the island:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Lawrence_River#/media/File:Grlakes_lawrence_map.png

Based on how the Rio de la Plata is currently mapped, it seems that the
Saint Lawrence coastline would have to be moved all the way down to the
very end of the estuary.

However, estuaries are not merely rivers, they are also part of the marine
environment. Just like the Rio de la Plata, the Saint Lawrence estuary is
part of the marine environment, as well as influenced by the river.

I have previously proposed that estuaries should be mapped by extending the
coastline upstream to the limit of the estuary, and also mapping the area
of the estuary as water with water=estuary

This will allow database users to create a reasonable set of water polygons
which include the oceans and all marginal marine water bodies, including
bays, straits and estuaries, while also allowing local mappers to map their
river estuaries as they see fit.

– Joseph Eisenberg