----- Mensaje original -----
> De: "Christoph Hormann" <o...@imagico.de>
> Para: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools" <tagging@openstreetmap.org>
> Enviados: Martes, 4 de Agosto 2020 8:04:55
> Asunto: Re: [Tagging] Rio de la Plata edit war

> On Monday 03 August 2020, mural...@montevideo.com.uy wrote:
>>
>> i will try.
>>

>> in my last mail i'm questioning the coastline placement in several
>> rivers. so,
>> -what are we mapping the coastline for?
>> -what we want from the "coastline"?
>> -what questions are we going to answer, or could we answer, with that
>> modeling of the coastline/world? (or we just draw it for the
>> renderer)
>
> In general in OSM
>
> * we are not mapping for a specific purpose, we are documenting local
> knowledge about the verifiable geography of the world.
> * what individual tags mean and how they are to be used is decided by
> the mappers using them - but not individually on a case-by-case basis
> but collectively by all the mappers of OSM together.
>
> The problem we have here is that there seems to be a fairly massive
> discrepancy between what some local mappers in the region seem to view
> natural=coastline to mean and what mappers in other parts of the world
> have in mind there.  My request for you to formulate a universal rule
> is meant to gauge that difference and evaluate options for a consensus.

Sure, there seems to be huge discrepancy with the meanings of the coastline,
and as you said, all discrepancy is from armchair mappers. There is wide
consensus in both local communities.

That is what my questions were trying to clarify, and your answers do not go in
that direction, I do not ask in general in OSM, I specifically ask about the
coastline. On that we have to agree. Once is it clear what we need or want the
coastline to model we could determine where to place it.

It seems that is like the Great Lakes, that were initially mapped as
natural=coastline for the renderer, and later corrected to natural=water. The
same is here.

What it seems to be the problem most mappers see is in the "map", that the
natural=coastline and the natural=water are rendered at different zooms, so
it's a rendering problem. Seems that people interested on how it renders are
trying to force the data so the render fulfills they expectations. Based on
size Rio de la Plata  should appear in a rendering, sure yes, should be
rendered as ocean, no, it should be rendered as other rivers, but also in low
zooms. It's simply, just say that people want to force the coastline.

Going back to an example, for us it doesn't make sense that the coastline is
drawed 70 km inland in Elbe river.

Regards,
M.

Con el nuevo beneficio fiscal, tu facturación electrónica puede ser sin costo.

Informate si aplicás aquí.

mvdfactura.uy