On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 5:11 AM Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We don't mapped parked vehicles unless they are 'permanent', same should
> be adopted for fires, floods, earth quakes and volcanic eruptions.
>
> If there is no permanent effect then mapping it is at best a temporary
> thing.

Having lived for awhile somewhere with volcanic eruptions, this is not a
good comparison (at least in the Hawaii sense).  Those volcanic eruptions
cause a permanent change to land cover that remains for centuries.
Eruptions that are over 100 years old are still plainly visible in
satellite view, and do not naturally reforest for centuries.  Generally the
only thing that causes a lava field to disappear is that it gets covered by
a new eruption, and these events are typically years to decades apart.
They are very real things on the ground that would be of interest, e.g.,
for hikers traversing over them.  I'm not sure if anyone has ever mapped
volcanic eruption perimeters, but it would seem perfectly reasonable to me
to map inactive lava fields once an eruption is over.