On 2020-11-06 23:35, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

Am Fr., 6. Nov. 2020 um 23:28 Uhr schrieb Anders Torger <and...@torger.se>:
I agree, but one renders (in some way at least), the other doesn't. Which one will the casual mapper choose? I'm a bit impatient and like to see results now.
The cluster tag was drafted 2015, the group tag 2018. None of them render as
far as I know.

that's both not "old" in OSM. Almost all tags that are rendered currently have
been around for at least double that time. The more you use a feature, the more likely it
will eventually be implemented later on by data users. Nobody is going to invent and test
a system just to render 100 objects.

And indeed we are closing in to the core of the problem. I don't think
the traditional OSM processes is keeping up with its own growth and the
speed the competition is moving. Some reform in the organization is
probably required at least in part, or else OSM is too stagnant for its
own good.
If OSM had a strategic working group that were responsible for some key
developments in style and cartography they could on their own identify
baseline features that are lacking or that can be improved. Cartography
has been around for a very long time, long before computers. The naming
issues I've described is not actually new and unique. I think all of
them would have been picked up by such a strategic cartography group,
which would implement features and suggest guidelines. And this is not
really dictatorship either, if mappers won't use the features, so be it.
A misjudgment and some unused code. There's still a place for a long
term tagging process for more exotic things, but waiting many years for
basic features this process has for one reason or another missed up to
this point I think is a problem.
If individual casual unorganized mappers like myself on their own shall
make these features happen and have 4 - 10 years patience to see it
maybe go through, it won't happen and the likelihood decreases the
larger the community becomes. It's not suistainable today. How will
Google Maps look in 4 - 10 years? AI and machine learning is coming. I
think we need to keep moving and keep upping our game or watch us become
irrelevant, at least in many countries.
/Anders