With respect to basins, my understanding is that some of these have water
in them all of the time, some of them have water some of the time, and then
there are some that are almost always dry, but become wet only rarely when
they are needed (e.g. for stormwater handling)

Mappers have used BOTH landuse=basin tag as well as natural=water +
water=basin.  Both methods are documented in the wiki (parallel tagging
scheme).

Should basins be tagged as landuse, water, or both?  Or does it depend on
the type of basin?