The tag water_works=* is great for use with man_made=water_works - but
that's for treating water before it is used, not for treatment of sewage,
normally: "water works is a place where drinking water is found and applied
to the local waterpipes network."

But there is also
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dwastewater_plant -
man_made=wastewater_plant so perhaps the key wastewater_plant=* would be
appropriate, e.g.: landuse=basin + content=sewage
+ wastewater_plant=decanter for your example?

I note that the page suggest using "water=wastewater" in this case instead
of water=basin or water=reservoir:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dwastewater - "A
clarifier/settling basin of a wastewater treatment plant" - used >32,000
times and pretty widespread globally:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=water&value=wastewater#chronology
- https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=water&value=wastewater#map

-- Joseph Eisenberg

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 3:07 PM François Lacombe <fl.infosrese...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Joseph,
>
> Le jeu. 17 déc. 2020 à 20:16, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
a écrit :

>> I don't think mappers can know the maximum volume or capacity of a water
reservoir or water basin, unless it is written on a public sign somewhere?
We can map the surface area, but knowing the average depth or maximum depth
is quite difficult, especially when it is not uniform. However for
man_made=reservoir_covered and =storage_tank we have capacity=* (in cubic
meters?) and content=water/sewage/etc.

> volume, elevation would be optional and mostly got from local signage.
> You may have opendata, knowledge or sometimes measurements.
> Many tags are already available but not used at the proper extent.
> For example, if we add capactiy (in cubic meters) on a waste water basin,
we could do the same for man_made=covered_reservoir or even water=reservoir
(if information is available somewhere)
http://chateau.deau.free.fr/rdef/PagesHTML/Sommaires/GermanDossiers.html

https://www.horiba.com/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/Wastewater_Processing_E_.jpg
> That looks complex but easilly guessable from aerial imagery or even
clearly explained during public visits of facilities.
> We could define simpler values if it helps
>

>> Currently for landuse=reservoir and water=reservoir this is some use of
reservoir_type= - https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:reservoir_type -
with values of water_storage, sewage, tailings, evaporator, tank, salt_pan,
wastewater, slurry, irrigation, aquicultura, cooling, etc - though only the
first 4 are at all common.

>> basin=* is used with landuse=basin or water=basin to describe the form
and function of the basin:

>> basin=infiltration - An infiltration basin catches storm water and
allows it to seep into an aquifer.
>> basin=detention - A detention basin catches storm water and allows it to
drain slowly into natural waterways.
>> basin=retention - A retention basin catches storm water and retains it,
forming an artificial pond.

>> And note that salt ponds (used to evaporate salt from sea-water) are
tagged as landuse=salt_pond
>> Pools for swimming are leisure=swimming_pool
>>
>> I don't see many combinations with usage=* or another tag that might
describe how the reservoir or basin is used, so perhaps this could be
proposed?

> That's right, usage=* corresponds to large familiy of activities and more
specific tagging would be more suitable to describe precise purpose of a
particular basin
> reservoir_type and basin looks like to refer to reservoir/basin purpose
but mixes may concepts that may collide (irrigation is a water_storage as
well)
> Only some values would match with usage=* ones: usage=irrigation is used
12k vs reservoir_type=irrigation 50

> Waste water processing could be described with less used water_works=*
> man_made=basin (An artifical structure designed to store some fluid, you
find basins for storm/rain/radioactive water, sewage, oil, ...)