> I think you need to expand a little on how to "conflate" a pool with a
> river.  The
> disadvantage of doing so is that the pool then cannot have a name assigned.

Sorry, my words were not clear enough here.  By "conflate" I mean that the
pool would simply be part of the river polygon.  See this example near
Boston:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/91082432#map=16/42.2615/-71.2764

Note that I explicitly included the phrase "if they are named or
significant in size" to cover the case where a stream pool has a name.  My
intent is to craft the definition in such a way that it allows either
scheme without preference (i.e. part of the river polygon, or a separate
pond/lake polygon with a name).