There's also the tag incline=up/down which is already used around 400 times.

On 2022-09-26 07:21, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
tagging incline direction on ways with mtb:scale:uphill is useful
as otherwise you need high-quality elevation model
to do routing, and in some cases it may be unavailable at all in sufficient detail I wanted to systematically tag mtb scale info in some places to improve routing
for bicycle trekking.

Some people (like myself) are NOT interested at all in MTB routes but mtb:scale=1
(or just mtb:scale=0) is still fine for them.
So mtb:scale=1 mtb:scale:uphill=3 is fine downhill but not uphill for such people,
but it is hard to check in which way given path goes uphill

This is also recommended by wiki:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:mtb:scale&uselang=en#mtb:scale:uphill=0-5 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:mtb:scale&uselang=en#mtb:scale:uphill=0-5>

So I wanted to systematically tag missing incline tags, as even without exact
value it is already valuable info for routing.

But what can be done in cases where there is no real incline but
path goes through series of up and down hops?

In many cases it is deliberately engineered (legally or not)
and looks often like https://www.moredirt.com/photo/91766
https://www.zip06.com/local-news/20220622/rockland-preserve-pump-track-is-officially-a-hit/
https://www.bikehinton.com/hinton-bike-park
-------------

Would it be fine to tag incline=up_and_down in such case?
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/incline=up_and_down
has some minimal use already.

Or maybe incline:variable=yes?

Splitting such way into incline=up / incline=down segments
is too much for me and I was splitting footway into 20m
segments to mark changing surface/lit status.

And why I want to tag some incline value? Because I want to do it
systematically for all such ways.
See https://github.com/streetcomplete/StreetComplete/pull/4385
for the context (I want to also add it to StreetComplete if it will
be accepted there).