sent from a phone

> On 30 Sep 2022, at 17:48, grin via Tagging <tagging@openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>
> Either service should mean "one level below unclassified" and soften the
> wording even more ("generally" to "in many cases", for example), or
> unclassified shall drop requirement for motorcars and suggesting service for
> "narrow paved roads w/ private motorcar access". I'd support the latter: I
> would rather use unclassified here, but that's an opinion.
>
> Your inputs are welcome.

a service road will often be a dead end, but „no through traffic“ does not mean
there cannot be a continuation of the road (but with limited access), you could
also see it like 2 (or even more) service roads that connect at the feature.

For service=alley it is usual to be connected in a grid, for service=driveway
it is atypical (maybe on camp sites?), there are different road types all under
the highway=service umbrella

Cheers Martin