On 1/10/22 20:25, stevea wrote:
Makes sense to me, too, Greg.  I don't know if it helps or hinders wider understanding, but I
understand what Greg is saying here, and while his perspective is "Eastern USA" (and mine
is "Western USA"), these don't seem far apart or even different at all, and there may
likely be a further possible refinement here:

"unclassified" roads, as a "real legal roads" are "in public," and subject to
traffic rules/laws/ordinances, and

"service" roads, as "private driveways, parking lot aisles and other roads not in the public
grid of road network" are "on private property" and not (as) subject to traffic
rules/laws/ordinances.

That would mean a crash on them would not have road laws applied to it .. so the insurance companies could not attribute blame based on road laws.. that could get very difficult in court.

I know the old definition of our 'motor traffic act' said something along the lines of a road is 'any place open to, or used, by the public' .. that includes private driveways, car parks etc etc as they are 'used by the public'.