On 4/10/22 23:48, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
I am not entirely how to solve various issues surrounding drinking water terminology
(help highly welcomed!) but it is now really clear to me that
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Ddrinking_fountain

Wiki page established November 2017. 656 uses.

is not helpful at all and it should be marked as deprecated

- many drinking fountains are eligible for man_made=water_tap
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dwater_tap

Wiki page established November 2017. 23,678 uses.

Taps are not 'drinking fountains' -see below.

- it duplicates https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:fountain%3Dbubbler

Wiki page established September 2019‎ . 319 uses.

- as stated this tag is equivalent to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:fountain%3Dbubbler
  but there are also water fountain which are not emitting
  upward jet of water in the air

So we have tag which for many (all?) features collides with better
established tag AND it is duplicated AND it is poorly named AND it is rarely used
AND it introduces confusion.

?? "rarely used" but has twice the uses of the proposed replacement that came latter?

A 'tap' is not a 'drinking fountain'.

The 'drinking fountain' is designed to be used by humans for directly and conveniently drinking from. Always a upward arc of water at a low flow rate.

Taps on the other hand are more convenient for filling a glass or bottle, some times for connecting a hose - usually with a downward outlet.

Look at the symbols for each...

drinking fountain https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e2/Drinking_Fountain_-_The_Noun_Project.svg/278px-Drinking_Fountain_-_The_Noun_Project.svg.png

tap https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5d/Ua_6.12_service-potable_water.svg/238px-Ua_6.12_service-potable_water.svg.png

They are different .. physically and functionally.