Yes, I'm glad to hear this:  somebody refusing a 500€ bill / invoice with a
500€ note would simply make me leave the note on the table (counter, hand of
the proprietor, if s/he let me...) and walk away, my obligation to remunerate
fully and legally completed.

At least in the USA, using currency (required to be accepted) isn't like barter
(doesn't have to be accepted):  we even have a notation on each and every
"Federal Reserve Note" (the debt instruments used in the USA as paper currency,
often called "cash") which states:  "This note is legal tender, for all debts,
public and private."  There are businesses which say, for example (to deter
crime?) "No bills greater than $20 are accepted after dark" or what seem like
similar, silly things (silly to me), but this remains questionable practice.
It becomes a tussle between the right of the business owner to control how
payments are accepted and the right of the consumer to pay using the "coin of
the realm" (effectively, "currency").  But when 500€ is due and 500€ as a "cash
note" is offered?  Yeah, I'd leave the note on the counter, and walk out,
inviting them to call the police if they like (and if they do, wait for them
and get it straightened out).  Any excuse by a business owner for not accepting
a 500€ bill / note for 500€ has a screw loose (is a bit nuts, or at the very
least, is acting quite unreasonably).

As I (on occasion, when traveling) have silver with me (one Troy ounce rounds,
five ounce bars...) I might also offer 23 (and maybe 24, but not 25, as I'd be
"losing value") ounces of silver to pay for this debt.  But with a business
owner who doesn't even take "cash," them accepting silver seems even less
likely (and silver is REAL money, paper currency, no, it is not).  BTW, because
I'm a decent (and even savvy) "barter-er with silver" I get about 30% to 35%
acceptance by merchants (supermarkets — though I usually have to talk to a
manager, who pockets the silver and then puts his/her cash in the till to make
the bookkeeping work, — gas stations, restaurants, shopkeepers, pet food
stores...all have accepted my silver).

Speaking of "effectively," I like the fact that in Spanish, the word for "cash"
(money as paper bills / notes) is "effectivo."  Well, "cash" is my
back-translation to English, more precisely what my Spanish dictionary says is
"money, that which composed of coins or bills" and is something like definition
#4, while the #1 definition for this word is roughly "that which produces or
results in the desired effect."

The history of "money" is fascinating.  And it continues to unfold with crypto,
totally electronic payments, this seeming desire to eliminate cash (by
merchants and governments who don't seem to like the anonymity it can
provide...) and more.