On 10/10/22 11:42, stevea wrote:
Such "rules" would be somewhere in the realm of the "policy" of the merchant
(or perhaps government agency).

On Oct 9, 2022, at 5:25 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mon, 10 Oct 2022 at 10:12, stevea <stevea...@softworkers.com> wrote:
Yes, I'm glad to hear this:  somebody refusing a 500€ bill / invoice with a
500€ note would simply make me leave the note on the table (counter, hand of
the proprietor, if s/he let me...) and walk away, my obligation to remunerate
fully and legally completed.

The history of "money" is fascinating.  And it continues to unfold with crypto,
totally electronic payments, this seeming desire to eliminate cash (by merchants and
governments who don't seem to like the anonymity it can provide...) and more.

I heard it was forbidden in this case not to accept the 500 bill as it is legal
tender
Does anybody else have rules on the maximum amount that can be paid in coins?

https://banknotes.rba.gov.au/legal/legal-tender/

In this case it is a legal law. However most merchants 'may refuse' .. they may also accept if they are inclined to do so.. usually this means 'not busy'. And most are happy to get some coins in rather than the never ending flow of coins out.

And any bank will normally accept an unrestricted number of coins.. they have machines for sorting, counting and packaging them so the job is easy for them.