I don't know in your area if all pedestrians who use the streets just
because they don't have a car are punished.
In Italy, only motorways and some major traffic routes are formally
"forbidden" to pedestrian transit.
If I found a foot=yes on a street, simply to indicate that one should not
walk in the middle of the street, I would delete that tag (and send a
message to the user asking what he meant).
It seems obvious to me that if I walk on a road I keep to the left (excuse
non-Anglo-Saxons, but this is the preferred direction for pedestrians on
driveways in the rest of the world).
While if I'm on a road with no traffic (not flat) I mostly walk on the
downhill side.
In short: if there isn't a sidewalk, and the street isn't reserved for
vehicles (but where do you live?) foot=no it seems absurd to me, or rather
wrong.

Ivo, Jrachi