My understanding (in Texas, and other states) in this case (where there is no
sidewalk and it is not legal to walk "in the roadway") is that in cases like
these, there will always be an "easement" along at least one side of the road,
where utilities (wired poles, perhaps underground piping...) are allowed, and
so, too, is granted "permission of access" to pedestrians, for the right to
walk along such easement.  This isn't quite-exactly "public property," as the
easement remains a "strip" of private property along stitched-together private
parcels, but by virtue of it being "an easement," explicit "public access"
(e.g. pedestrians walking) IS allowed through such an easement.  So, for
example, an access=yes tag (if not already implied) might be appropriate to
explicitly include.

So, say you're in Texas, there is a roadway (and you are not allowed to walk in
it, lest you run afoul of "pedestrian-in-roadway" ordinances) and there is NO
sidewalk.  In this case there IS an "easement" (whether populated by utilities
or not) where pedestrians are allowed, because pedestrians must be able to use
the right-of-way of the road, too.  Just not IN the roadway, but along it.
(And if there are wired poles along one side, choose that side).

On Dec 18, 2022, at 1:43 PM, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I've been told (and someone showed me the law to back it up) is that
> apparently in Texas, IF there is a sidewalk, you are not allowed to walk in
> the roadway.
>
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 4:42 PM Ivo Reano <reano...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you saying that in Texas you can't walk on a street that doesn't have a
> sidewalk?
> Only in a city environment or also in a non-city environment?
> Or in Texas if you're on foot you're going nowhere?
> Definitely not human!
<remainder redacted for brevity>