Hi.

In Norway, roads are owned by the state, a county, a municipality, or a private entity. Ownership of the road implies general responsibility for maintenance and authority over signage and usage. I assume most countries divide road ownership and authority in a similar way.

As an example of a use case for this type of information, the Norwegian version of FixMyStreet will notify the relevant road authority when users report problems. Because (reliable) ownership is not/has not been available to FixMyStreet, the notification is simply copied to all public road authorities and they need to sort out between themselves who owns the road.

The status quo for "car" roads in Norway seems to be that state roads are highway=motorway or highway=trunk, county roads are highway=primary or highway=secondary, and municipal roads are highway=tertiary and so on. For cycleways and footways, road ownership is not captured this way, for obvious reasons, but it's equally relevant to be able to capture it.

I couldn't find an official way to capture this information in OSM.
Is there one?

Cheers,

Jens