Hi Sarah,

On Thu, Jun 15, 2023 at 08:48:36PM +0200, Sarah Hoffmann via Tagging wrote:
> The initial examples of Florian are quite telling in that way. The
> closest road to
> https://osm.zz.de/dbview/?db=addresses-nrw&layer=namemismatch#51.98796,8.57338,17z
> would in fact be the service way right next to the buildings. The fault
> is with the router who does not include non-accessible roads to
> determine the access and thus finds the wrong road. If it would create a
> full routing network that includes inaccessible service roads and footways,
> it would be able to make the right decision and bring the car to the gate.

But thats only one of hundrets of examples. One could imaging a thousand
ways of "fixing" this algorithmically in one or the other way, but in
the end all of this has its limitations and will work in one case, and
break horribly in others.

This is why i am "proposing" or trying to find some way to explicitly
make this available for mappers to hint this.

> That said, I do think it would be a good idea if Nominatim could return
> entrances for larger buildings or areas. That's why
> https://github.com/osm-search/Nominatim/issues/536 is still open.
> I would just draw the line where the geocoder needs to make any policy
> decisions like deciding which is the best entrance point, as this
> largely depends on the client's requirements. (It pretty much rules out
> the Mapbox approach which is biased towards vehicle routing.)

But its not like only "entrances" or something. As with the fire_station
within an industrial compound, the fire_station will have an entrance,
the industrial compound may have an entrance. So which one to return!?

I cant image a "one algorithm fixes this all" way of dealing with the
issue.

> Maybe a separate service that computes navigation points for an OSM
> object wouldn't be such a bad idea. It might be easier to play around
> with heuristics based on micro-mapping using a separate software instead
> of trying to cram it into exising routers or geocoders which are optimised
> for other use cases.

Even if we find a 95% algorithm we let down our users in 5% of the
cases.

And its not like "Finding the right spot". Sometimes POIs have multitude
of points.

Like navigating to large industrial compound, you may a touristic visitor
and like to be brought to the "Visitors Center". As a Truck Driver you
may want to brought to the "Goods Delivery Warehouse". As a customer you
may be navigated to the Main Office building.

There is no such thing as "Volkswagen Wolfsburg" - Thats a multitude of
POIs.

So i'd like to have a solution where i can "hint" or "fix" these issues
at once.

So i have a 1:n:m relation for

OSM Object -> Mode of Transport -> Locations to be navigated to.

And sometimes you intermediate change the mode of transport. So you say
i want to go to "Centro Oberhausen". A Menu pops up and shows "Car park
east" "Car park west" etc ... You choose a car park and get there. Then
you change mode of transport and continue by foot to the final location.

For the easy stuff like "Where is the entrance of Berlin Zoo" this might
be fixable algorithmically. But what if there are multiple entrances and
some of them are only for disabled? Or one is for Pedestrians and one is
only by car?

So i envision something like

Search for "Frankfurt Airport" - And whatever service returns the
additional objects returns

        "Terminal 1 Arrival"
        "Terminal 1 Departure"
        "Terminal 2 Arrival"
        "Terminal 2 Departure"
        "Car park A"
        "Car park B"
        "Car park C"

The user may then choose the correct location.

When looking for the "Fire Station Mitsubishi Papers, Bielefeld" i simply
get "Mitsubishi Papers, Gate 1" or something to navigate to.

So - we have a multitude of issues where there is no "One location does
fit all" and i'd like a way to hint the correct/final destinations in
the process between geocoder and router.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                     f...@zz.de