I recently purchased a laser distance meter, primarily for measuring road
widths so as to allow better routing for various vehicles. In the process, I
discovered that some roads can have a gradually decreasing/increasing width.
The wiki does not cover such situations, so I brought it up in the #osm IRC
channel.

Some mappers (and the wiki) advise that one should map the width at the
narrowest part of the street. However, this is not always desirable. If a
vehicle can enter a street up to a certain point to reach an address or POI,
sufficiently smart routers should (given sufficient data) route it along the
street accordingly.

For such situations, I liked pbnoxious' suggestion of using the keys
width:start and width:end, applied to the concerned way. In addition, pbnoxious
suggested using width=* to specify the mean/median width. By splitting ways and
using width:start=* + width:end=*, complex changes in width can be mapped.

A question was raised about how such a width should be rendered. Personally,
rendering a gradually increasing/decreasing width is not too important for my
uses, but can be nice to have in more detailed renderers.

If there are no objections, I'll add a section about the above to the wiki.