Thanks for the responses, everyone.

It's not too important to me that we use the median width for width=*, so if we
use width:start=*/width:end=*, we can continue using width=* for the minimum
width.

Tagging way nodes with width=* or width:carriageway=* was actually my first
attempt at a solution, but I preferred pbnoxious' suggestion of
width:start=*/width:end=* - that way, what is arguably a property of the way is
associated with the way rather than its nodes. There's another issue - way
nodes may be shared by multiple ways, resulting in ambiguity.

The workaround of splitting up the way at different points and adding different
width=* tags to each segment is inelegant, but has many things going for it -
namely compatibility with existing routers and preventing existing editors from
messing up data.

Now I'm thinking of documenting two solutions on the wiki -

1. width:start=*/width:end=*, optionally with width=* for the minimum width of
the street, and with a word of warning about the results of editors splitting
ways.

2. Splitting the way and using existing width=* etc tags on the segments, and
noting the benefits of this approach.