Minh Nguyen <m...@nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us> writes:

>> It's a slippery slope, and pretty soon \pi is 3.
>
> Poor Indiana. ;-) The definition of the foot would apply to the ' and
> ft abbreviations in every context, not just the ele=* key, so I'd
> suggest considering it separately, probably without the formality of a
> vote. The main unit symbol listing has come together more informally
> over the years. [1]
>
> Sooner or later, OpenHistoricalMap will have a lot of fun with this issue...
>
> [1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_features/Units

A fair point that it's generic, and while that page does not say
"international foot", the conversion given is the modern/interntional
one.  So I think we're all set.

I would expect elevations in feet in NGVD29 to be in survey feet.  It's
not so much a special feet for surveying as the definition before the
50s, and too hard to change for horizontal control, while ignorable just
about everywhere else.  But, the difference is tiny, and elevations in
NGVD29 are more or less by definition of poor accuracy anyway.

I'm glad to see the usual suspects are still here!