In my mind "designated" means "for this infrastructure / mode-of-travel pair,
DO use this."  Like legislatively or because a sign says so and quotes a local
ordinance or traffic code statute.  "We built this, use it."  (Say, for your
own safety and/or comfort).

With "yes" you certainly can use this infrastructure for that particular
mode-of-travel.  Though, nothing more than that.

I hope this helps.