Interestingly, lately I've seen lots of developers come to the
conclusion that EJBs (Entity and Session) are not appropriate for all (or
even most) Enterprise tasks.  I've seen several threads lately about
companies that started out with pure EJB solutions and then scaled back to
simple classes running inside the Servlet container and/or taglibs,
resulting in significant performance boosts (I myself worked on such a
project).

Lots of companies start out under the assumption that all their business
logic MUST be in an EJB, rather than a class or taglib.  The reality is,
EJBs are not always an efficient alternative.  Remember EJBs create
signficant Serialization overhead and, in the case of stateless beans,
often lead to serious sacrifices in programming technique.

Use the right tool for the right job.  If you are performing the same
credit card transactions over and over, then an EJB is probably the
ticket.  If, on the other hand, you're providing a view of some database
rows to your JSP, you might want to avoid the Serialization overhead and
use a tag library (like DBTags :).

- Morgan