I'm certain that it has something to do with the servlet container's
tag caching mechanism.  My failure was on OrionServer 1.5.2, yet I was
able to get it to work (with seperate statements) on Tomcat 4b6.

I was also able to "hack" around it by making sure each query returned
the same number of columns, but I was not getting a NPE as you are.

For you're specific problem you should contact the resin-interest list
and report it.  I need to do something similar for the JSPTL tags...

Lance (the original poster of this thread)