Right - there isn't a portable way of doing this with JDBC.  You can use a
database-specific feature to acquire the info, but note that you'll need
to do this inside a <sql:transaction> tag, since the "last OID"-type
features are always connection-specific, and <sql:transaction> is
currently the only way of ensuring that two successive database operations
use the same connection.

--
Shawn Bayern
"JSP Standard Tag Library"   http://www.jstlbook.com