If there's interest in "EL-izing" certain non-ELed tag libraries,
without changing the library (so the original library can still work in
Servlet 2.2 environments), and you don't want to wait for JSP 2.0, you
might consider using the strategy I used in building the Struts-EL tag
library.

All the tag classes in the Struts-EL tag library are subclasses of the
corresponding class in the Struts tag library, and all of them look
almost identical.  In each one, the "doStartTag()" method calls a method
called "evaluateExpressions()", which just has one block of almost
identical code for each property of the tag, which just passes the
current value of the property through the EL parser and into the
"setter" method for the property.  The only exception to this relatively
clean mapping comes in if the property type is NOT "java.lang.String".
If ONE of the base class properties is not String, then in order to use
the same tag attribute name, you have to use a separate BeanInfo class
(from the JavaBeans specification) to map from the same attribute name
to a different property setter method.  Then, you write a new TLD
descriptor using the new class names, and you have an EL-ized tag
library.  You have to deploy the two jar files together, the new taglib
and the original one.