Why exactly would enabling EL allow you to restructure how your tags
work?

When you say that some tags or attributes may no longer be necessary, do
you mean because some JSTL tag might perform that functionality?  In the
case of the Struts-EL library, I simply chose not to port certain tags
from Struts to Struts-EL if their functionality was entirely provided by
a JSTL tag.  It didn't allow me "restructure how tags work".

Yes, using the EL requires JSP 1.2.  That's why it's good at this point
to keep the "-rt" and "-el" versions of libraries somewhat separated.

I consider the "functionality" of a tag library, and the mechanism it
uses to evaluate tag attributes, to be independent.

Adding an EL-ized version of a library doesn't imply any change to the
base library. Users using the "-rt" library would never notice a
difference.  However, the people who want to quickly move forward on
using and experimenting with the JSTL would have another tool they could
more easily integrate with, without having to wait for a 2.0 release.

Note that I haven't used the String tag library, nor am I familiar with
its contents (although I believe you have some substring matching tags,
which is good).  I'm just looking to promote usage of the JSTL, which
will be more likely if popular tag libraries that do things the JSTL
doesn't do can use the same attribute syntax.