How practical is it to consider deploying tools/frameworks using the EL
which do not use JSP?  I looked in the two jar files (standard and
jstl), and it appears "standard" contains all the EL classes, but it
also contains some classes which are obviously JSP-related.  If there's
no obvious dependencies from the EL into JSP, it might be worthwhile
considering packaging the JSTL with a jar file that doesn't reference
any JSP-related classes.

I ask this because I had noticed a possible use of the JSTL EL in the
Commons-Validator library, which is not JSP-specific.