I guess you can do that, but I prefer something else.

I use a GZIP compression filter on my control servlet
that gets rid of all that extraneous whitespace and
more when I sent responses back to clients that can
accept compressed output.

That's what eBay does routinely.

I'm seeing good compression in the response.   I log
before & after stream size, just to check.  Fewer
bytes on the wire means faster response, as long as
the compression and decompression times are small
compared to transmission time.  My subjective measure
tells me that response is pretty fast, but I have to
admit that I don't have hard "before and after"
numbers.

I agree with your aim, but I disagree with the way you
achieve it.  Respectfully yours, MOD

--- Yann Cébron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Michael Duffy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > Sorry, but I thought the question had to do with
> > getting rid of whitespace from JSPs generated at
> > runtime.  Perhaps I lost the thread. - MOD
> >

> Actually, since all your JSP-tags and HTML-tags will
> be side by side in your
> JSP-source you'll save a lot of whitespace,
> especially when using
> <c:forEach> or similar constructs. At least it saved
> me about 50-80% of the
> resulting HTML, depending on the original JSP.
>
> Try it out for yourself to see if it does the job
> for you...
>
> Cheers,
>     Yann
>
> > --- Yann Cébron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > here's a snippet I use in my build.xml after
> copying
> > > the JSPs and HTML files
> > > to the build dir:
> > >
> > >  <replaceregexp match="&gt;\s*&lt;"
> > > replace="&gt;&lt;" flags="g"
> > > byline="false">
> > >       <fileset dir="${build.home}"
> > > includes="**/*.html,**/*.htm,**/*.jsp"/>
> > >  </replaceregexp>
> > >
> > > This is not a perfect solution, but it gets you
> > > *very* compact HTML output
> > > and it does not have any runtime-costs like e.g.
> > > Servlet-filters or other
> > > tags which strip the whitespace *after* the
> response
> > > has been generated.
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > >     Yann
> > >
> > > "Neil Zanella" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb im
> > > Newsbeitrag

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]