Depending on what servlet container you are using, I would just recommend
not using tiles.  If you are using a Servlet 2.3 container, then I would
recommend attempting to accomplish the same functionality of tiles using a
filter instead.  It's pretty simple to implement, not to mention a lot
less complicated.  Tiles, as I have found with a lot of Struts components,
are a lot more complicated than they really need to be.