Not sure if this is helpful, but I'd be very reluctant
to adopt a 'replace all methods' approach. Event if it
were to work, you probably have not actually found the
problem.

The first thing I would do is to grab another copy
(download) of Tomcat and untar it into a temp directory.
Then I'd check to be sure the various jar files are all
exactly the same between your failing run-time and the
fresh download.  I've occasionally had trouble with
corrupted jar files...

Then I'd try the same with a later version of Tomcat,
possibly this might help?  Or try reinstalling Tomcat
again.

Roy