Thanks,

I'll do the reading.  What got me thinking was that the
tag requires four parts of information, with all four
no reference to a JNDI source is needed.  One would
have expected something like:

  <sql:dataSource resource="jdbc/EmployeeAppDb"/>

and this would refer to:

  <Resource name="jdbc/EmployeeAppDb" auth="SERVLET"
   type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
   <ResourceParams name="jdbc/EmployeeAppDb">
   </ResourceParams>

for tha app's context in server.xml.

Then it would be very clear that the jstl dataSource was
using the JNDI (managed) connection pool.

Roy